Financially Fit for Life
I did not learn about finance in school. I
did not learn about it in the workplace. I was not, unfortunately taught by
family. The reason is quite simple: we live in a financially illiterate world. If I could turn back the clock, I would have
not made so many financial blunders as I did.
The sooner we learn about money and put it into
practice, the wealthier we are capable of becoming. I truly believe that it is
never too young to learn about money. We, as parents spend so much time,
effort, money trying to get our kids to perform well in school so that they get
good paying jobs and become financially independent and set for Life. What if I
were to tell you, that Person “A” with good financial knowledge will amass much
greater wealth as compared to Person “B” (assume both A and B work just as hard
and make exactly the same amount of money throughout their lives). Knowing
this, why are we, as parents, not setting our kids to be financially smart at a
young age?
The few people that understand finance (those
working in the financial industry) are the least likely to educate us, because
their income depends on keeping us ignorant. They earn heavy commissions and
fees thanks to our ignorance.
As a parent, I know one thing with absolute
certainty. We want the very best for our children and this extends to their
financial welfare as well. However,
since we have had little financial education ourselves, we lack the confidence
to teach them (or at least I did before I delved deep into the subject). Therefore, as a mom, I have been very excited
about formulating a program to teach kids to be financially literate. The
sooner the kids learn the better off they will be. Albert Einstein called compound interest the
eighth wonder of the world, and the most important aspect for compound interest
is time, which children and young adults have more of than any of us!
Comments
Post a Comment